Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Big 5000

Misty and threatening to rain but 50 degree temperature lured Annie and I out for a Sunday morning ride. The thirteen plus miles around our loop put me over the 5000 mile mark for the year! Given the small number of miles I will cover in December, it is both a great milestone and a bit anti-climactic. I would have rather burst through the 5000 mile barrier with a good 50 mile ride, but beggars can't be choosers, or something like that. So now with only a few days left in the year, if the weather cooperates, I should be able to add at least a bit to the yearly total, but I will have to give some thought before setting a new goal. Conventional wisdom would say that if I reached 5000 this year I ought to shoot for more next year; at worst I ought to at least try to match this year's total. But it took an awful lot of riding and a schedule that miraculously cooperated with some of our weekend rides to accomplish this years total and there is no guarantee that my schedule in the coming year will cooperate equally. So I may just be cautious and shoot for 4000 again and see what happens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ira! Very impressive.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs