Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The March Wind

The fact that Spring is officially two days a way was bolstered by today's weather. Not unseasonably warm, that would be an illusion bound to disappoint. Rather just a lovely, sunny coolish day, temperature just peeking above 60 at its high point. But warm enough to ride without an outer layer beyond my jersey and to wear half-gloves. I couldn't ride early today and might have chosen to skip it but for the gorgeous looking day. So I went out after 2 PM and thought I might do a double loop, but didn't. The time and the wind dissuaded me. Despite the lovely look of the day, the feel of it was also perfectly right for the season: windy. Very windy, in fact. I don't know what the official numbers were, but coming back along West Side Drive was like riding uphill all the way. Wind in my face. where I had zipped down Kelly Drive at 15 mph, I couldn't muster more than 10 in must spots coming home. No matter. A great ride.

I stopped and took a couple of photos that I've been wanting to take for awhile now. The construction along the West Side is just about finished and, lo and behold, they were building a fish ladder.

This is a shot of the viewing bleachers they've constructed for watching the fish climb the ladder.



This is a view of the mechanism itself, not that I know exactly what it is supposed to do.




I don't think the ladder in this picture is the fish ladder. But if you look at the very bottom of the photo you might be able to see the water.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs