Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Yes, I'm Back

It has been over a month since I rode anything more than a mile here and there doing errands on my Brompton. The weather has just been miserable and even as it warmed these last few days, I was afraid of re-freezing ice-melt in the early morning. But the snow and ice are finally gone and the temperature this morning was 34 degrees and there seemed to be nothing to fear. My sinus condition has improved markedly, so out we went, Annie and I for our first ride. Let's say it was the first ride of a new season and hopefully there will be few breaks from now on. Of course, after not being out for awhile the first thing we had to deal with was a train, two trains to be exact, one on each track, blocking the entrance to the trail. We decided to carry our bikes up and down the Walnut St stairs rather than riding through the traffic on Chestnut. Silly decision but so be it. We lost some time and Annie had to be back for an appointment so we had to shorten the ride a bit. Managed just over 10 miles, which felt really good and given my shape also felt like enough. But now I'm started so hopefully things will improve quickly. Of course, it is still only early February and the weather can still present many challenges these next few weeks, so we'll have to see.
Meanwhile, my bike wrenching has come to naught. I haven't entirely given up the idea, but I'm close to it. I feel a bit sheepish about it, but I'm really enjoying not having someplace to go and working on and off all day on my writing. The writing is coming along nicely, but there is still an awful lot to do and I'm a bit paranoid that it won't get done if I get started at the Bike shop. Truth is I guess I've discovered that my inner do-it-yourselfer is really and inner let-the pros-do-it. Not motivated enough. I will say I'm still thinking about it and maybe a few days riding and watching the Tour of California next week will re-motivate me.
Speaking of which, I'm very excited that the Lance factor has brought the TOC more exposure. Versus will be carrying it live throughout the race. You can check out the schedule here.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs