Sunday, February 04, 2007

I Call It Crisp

Some call it crazy, most of my friends and even my wife said: "I don't know how you do it," but I just call it crisp. Truth be told, not even that. It was 16 degrees with a wind chill factor of about 8 degrees and I felt as comfortable as ever. I simply went to three jerseys layered under my wind breaker, a thinsulate hat and earmuffs over my balaclava and toe warmers. I felt fine and managed 16.3 miles on a lovely morning with a breathtaking sunrise. I left home a little late, 6:05, intentionally in order to have pretty much daylight by the time I arrived at the Falls Bridge. That allows me to go around the full loop, otherwise the West River Drive is too poorly lit and I would have to turn around and go back down Kelly Drive which is what we do most mornings. But having a little more discretion on the clock, this being Sunday, I managed to get to the bridge just as the sun was coming up and take the full loop. In fact I had enough time do do an extra quarter loop, hence my additional mileage. I wish I'd taken my camera with me, but, truthfully, it is a bit cold when one stops and takes off one's gloves.

The new issue of Citycycling was published on the web yesterday in which my letter to the journal appeared. Check it out City Cycling Another good issue from those folks.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs