Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Shopping...And Ride Of Silence

It feels a bit more like spring today. The sun is shining, though there is still a prediction for more rain later today, but the temperature was only 50 when I headed out, knowing I would not take a long ride. I went down Kelly drive to Forbidden Drive, up to Wissahickon Ave and started up the hill thinking I might go all the way to RRC. But I just don't seem to have the energy for the hills lately, or for riding by myself. So I turned back and took the path back to Chestnut Street and exited to stop at Trophy bikes on Walnut street. I have been thinking about getting another, better folding bike to travel with. this summer I will be traveling at least to LA and Seattle, with other trips possible during the year and I really think renting bikes is both inefficient, expensive and hit or miss as far as what I get to ride on. So Trophy was setting up a small Bike Friday Tikit for me to try and the rain kept me from trying it yesterday. I rode it and thought it was ok, but also rode a Brompton 6 speed that I loved. I rode a few different set-ups and pretty much settled on one. The only problem is that Brompton does not make a hard case as Bike Friday does. So I'm trying to figure out if I can fit it into a regular hard suitcase and if I can I will probably buy the bike. It really rode like a dream. And folds and unfolds incre4dibly easily. Nothing like the inexpensive folder I bought last year (no names, please.)

Hopeful of getting some important work done this afternoon and then will meet up with Denine to go to the Ride of Silence, weather permitting. On;ly rode 19 miles today, but will add a few tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ira,

You don't have to spend a grand to get a decent folding bike. If you really want to stay small, I love the DownTube Mini and the Mobiky Genius. I've packed both into off the shelf suitcases. The Mobiky folds lightning fast and rolls when folded; the DownTube Mini is less expensive and has more speeds to choose from for hills. Both fold much faster than a Bike Friday too.

By the way, it's great to see how you've been keeping up your mileage.

Regards,
Larry Lagarde
RideTHISbike.com

Ira F. Stone said...

Thanks for the advice, Larry, but as you will see in the blog, I've made my decision for some specific reasons. I appreciate your concern, though.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs