Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Rain Dampened Triple Loop

I thought the rain overnight had exhausted the storm and left the house at 8:15 AM for my long Wednesday ride. I was still considering whether to ride as usual to Valley Forge and beyond, but was also considering a new route that I downloaded from the Philadelphia Bike Club Ride Library for a change. That ride would have only been about 40 miles but would have given me a fresh perspective. It would have taken me south instead of north, to Fort Mifflin. However, when I got outside it was still threatening enough weather that I determined to ride the loop for starters and stay close to home. It just wasn't nice enough of a day to tempt me out on either long ride. In fact, by the time I reached the trail it was pouring, but I persevered. I ended up riding the loop three times. By the third time, after 20 miles of riding, the rain let up and quickly the day changed. First a few minutes of winds sweeping away the clouds and providing resistance; soon after a cool sunny day. I rode those last 12 miles in perfect weather! I considered starting out on a longer ride at that point, but the day was getting on and there were things to do. So I stopped for a haircut on the way home, came home and showered, cleaned the bike and lubed the chain and felt satisfied with my 32.5 miles.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs